Morne Fortuné

Morne Fortuné is the summit of a ridge, which rises to a height of 852 ft from the point La Toc - the southern arm of the Castries Harbour. Morne Fortuné means “Hill of Good luck” which is far from the truth, since this area was on many occasions the bloody battleground between the French and the English. It was later renamed Fort Charlotte 1794 by the father of Queen Victoria of Great Britain after a battle victory.

In 1768, the French decided to move their chief town from it’s exposed site at Vigie to its present location. Morne Fortune was there after fortified to protect the harbour. During the period of 1768 to the later part of the 19th century, most of the earlier buildings have disappeared. Only four buildings of French origin remain on the Morne (the Powder Magazine and three of the Guard Cells). Many of the buildings built by the British during their occupation have disappeared or fallen into ruin (for example, the Pavilion, residence of the Governor was destroyed in a hurricane of 1817). The remaining buildings on the Morne were built during the latter part of the 19th century.

In the latter part of the 19th century, Morne Fortuné served as a garrison to defend the Castries Harbour, which was then a coaling station. Coal was brought to the Harbour from abroad, and dumped onto the wharf, while coal-burning ships called at the port to refuel. In 1906 the British garrison left Morne Fortuné.

Morne Battery (Apostles Battery)

The Morne Battery is situated above the eastern side of Morne Road at the north side of its junction with Henry Dulieu Road. It is also referred to as the Apostles Battery, perhaps in memory of the four guns once mounted on the site. The official War Office name for the site is Morne Battery. Construction of the battery started on June 1st, 1890 and completed on July 31st, 1892, at a cost of £6696.00. The Battery is considerably retired from the coastline - the nearest point being about a mile away, and it is 1¼ miles from the entrance to the Castries Harbour.

Castries; not protected; vested


The Powder Magazine and Guard Cells

The Powder Magazine and Guard Cells were built by the French during the period of 1763-1765, therefore making them the oldest existing buildings on Morne Fortuné. The Powder Magazine was used for the storing of gunpowder /ammunition. It’s walls were built very thick so as to contain any explosion which may have been caused due to it’s contents. The Guard Cells served as gaol cells for soldiers. Next to the Guard Cells are the stables, which were also built during the period of 1763 - 1765.

Castries; Not protected; Vested to the Trust


27th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Foot

This regiment of the British Army originated in Co Fermanagh in Ireland in 1689. Its very first overseas posting was in 1701 to the West Indies. During its seven years there, as well as suffering dreadful loss of life from disease (including its commanding officer), the regiment helped in the capture of the island of Guadalupe.

The capture of St Lucia in 1796 was the second time the 27th Regiment was involved in the capture of the island. The first time was in 1778, but the island was later returned to France. In 1795 a large expedition sailed from England to recapture the island. The army was led by General Abercrombie. Successful landing were made on the island and the main French fortress on Morne Fortuné was besieged.

General Abercrombie attributed the successful outcome of that siege in no small part to the bravery of the 27th Inniskillings. He therefore gave the regiment two significant honours. The surrendering French garrison marched out of the fortress and laid down its arms before the ranks of the 27th and, in addition, Abercrombie granted the regiment the unique honour of having its Colours flown from the flagstaff of the fortress for an hour before the Union flag was raised.

Castries; Not protected; Vested


The French and British Cemetaries

These are the burial grounds of French and British soldiers and civilians on the Morne. The only visible sign of the French burial ground near to the British Cemetery are two nameless tombs.In the British cemetery lay some of the past Governors of St. Lucia. The last Governor to be buried there is Sir Ira Simmons in 1974. This was also the burial grounds of a few civilians, military personnel and their families. The earliest known grave is that of “Emillia, wife of Major-General, Alex Wood, C.M.G.” who died on November 8th, 1810. There were also mass graves at this site, of persons who died from epidemics of Yellow Fever, Cholera etc.

Castries; Not protected; Vested


Prevost Redoubt

Prevost Redoubt was named after General Prevost who was the Lieutenant Governor of the island from 1798-1802. This area served as a look out point where a few men were stationed with muskets. From this site, the view of the entire Castries Harbour, the Vigie Peninsula, Rat and Pigeon Island, gave it the reputation of being an ideal look out point. It has been earmarked as the site for the National Heros Park.

Castries; Not protected; Vested to the Trust

Site's Photos


2017 © Saint Lucia National Trust

eMagine the possibilities…